REMINDER: We have extended the deadline for ranking submission until Monday, April 20. You do not need to provide write-ups, but if you do you only need to do them for your top 30.
It’s a question that has caused fans of cinema to lose countless hours over debating: What is the best and worst of any given film franchise?
ScreenAge Wasteland aims to find the common ground by asking its community to participate in a collaborative ranking of the Walt Disney Animation Studios films. The 58 eligible films are:
- 1930s/1940s: Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
- 1950s/1960s: Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book
- 1970s/1980s: The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Company, The Little Mermaid
- 1990s: The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan
- 2000s: Fantasia 2000, Dinosaur, The Emperor’s New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, The Princess and the Frog
- 2010s: Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Frozen II
Submit your ranking of the 58 Walt Disney animated films to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 20. All you have to do is order the films from best to worst, and include a sentence or two (no longer than a paragraph please) about each film (your favorite part, why it is great/terrible, etc.).
Here’s an example of what a response might look like for Pixar’s A Bug’s Life:
- Surely most people put this at the bottom of their list? For all I know A Bug’s Life is much better than I remember, but I think it was forever cursed as being “not as good as Toy Story.” I sure as hell know it is better than Antz though.
Once the deadline has past, we’ll tally up the various rankings, cherrypick the best responses for each film, and put together a massive collab ranking to release during our April theme month focused on Disney!
NOTE: As long as you have seen at least 30 films you can participate. Just rank the ones you have seen. If you’ve missed a few (like those compilations) that’s fine. The scores will be adjusted depending on how many you rank.
Are you up for the task? Comment below or email to confirm your involvement.
To see our previous community collab rankings, click here.
Thanks in advance to everyone who participates. You are the hero SAW needs.