Why spend the summer outdoors when you could beat the heat and sit in an air-conditioned theater watching some of the latest blockbusters?
The rules are simple, the competition is fierce, and the wagers are lighthearted. This is the 2022 SAW Summer Movie Wager, and it’s back after a two-year hiatus!
Choose whatever 10 theatrical films you think will be most profitable domestically with #1 being most successful and #10 being least. You are NOT guessing the worldwide box office total.
*We opted-out of international gross because of the alternate release schedules. We apologize for any annoyance, but the window of time wouldn’t work.
You can choose any of the select films that release in the United States from Friday, May 6 until Monday, September 5 (i.e. the first weekend in May through Labor Day weekend).
*Please note that a movie may still be profitable after September 5, but that’s the cutoff — that extra cash won’t count.
In addition to your Top 10, we ask that you choose 3 “Furiosas”— 3 films that you think MIGHT make the Top 10, but you aren’t willing to put on your list.
We’re taking the point system wholesale from Time Travel Reviews (…if it ain’t broke):
- Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
- 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
- 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
- 5 points if it was two spots away
- 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
- 1 point for each dark horse pick that makes it into the Top 10
The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick. That is, if you get number ten right, you don’t get 13+3, you only get 13.
JUST SOME OF THE ELIGIBLE MOVIES
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 6)
- Firestarter (May 13; NOTE: also releases on Peacock same day)
- Downton Abbey: A New Era (May 20)
- Men (May 20)
- Top Gun: Maverick (May 27)
- The Bob’s Burgers Movie (May 27)
- Jurassic World Dominion (June 10)
- Lightyear (June 17)
- Elvis (June 24)
- The Black Phone (June 24)
- Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (June 24)
- Minions: The Rise of Gru (July 1)
- Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8)
- Where the Crawdads Sing (July 15)
- Nope (July 22)
- Bullet Train (July 29)
- DC League of Super-Pets (July 29)
- Bodies Bodies Bodies (August 5)
- Samaritan (August 26)
PRIZE FOR FIRST PLACE
In addition to bragging rights, whoever comes in 1st Place at the 2022 Summer Movie Wager will receive a ScreenAge Wasteland t-shirt of their choosing off of our RedBubble page.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WAGER
As for submissions, you can choose to either leave a Disqus comment on this post, or email email@example.com. Be aware, however, that people might copy your comment, so we encourage email. Also, your entry will be recorded immediately. If you edit a Disqus comment later, the changes likely won’t count, so choose wisely.
Entries are due the end of Friday, April 29, 2022. A post will be released the following morning with everyone’s participating wager. The winner will be announced shortly after the end of Labor Day Weekend.
Choose wisely and good luck!