Why spend the summer outdoors when you could beat the heat and sit in an air-conditioned theater watching some of the latest blockbusters?
The rules are simple, the competition is fierce, and the wagers are lighthearted. This is the 2023 SAW Summer Movie Wager!
Choose whatever 10 theatrical films you think will be most profitable domestically with #1 being most successful and #10 being least. You are NOT guessing the worldwide box office total.
*We opted-out of international gross because of the alternate release schedules. We apologize for any annoyance, but the window of time wouldn’t work.
You can choose any of the select films that release in the United States from Friday, May 5 until Monday, September 4 (i.e. the first weekend in May through Labor Day weekend).
*Please note that a movie may still be profitable after September 2, but that’s the cutoff — that extra cash won’t count.
In addition to your Top 10, we ask that you choose 3 “Furiosas”— 3 films that you think MIGHT make the Top 10, but you aren’t willing to put on your list.
We’re taking the point system wholesale from Time Travel Reviews (…if it ain’t broke):
- Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
- 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
- 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
- 5 points if it was two spots away
- 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
- 1 point for each dark horse pick that makes it into the Top 10
The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick. That is, if you get number ten right, you don’t get 13+3, you only get 13.
JUST SOME OF THE ELIGIBLE MOVIES
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. (May 5)
- Book Club: The Next Chapter (May 12)
- Fast X (May 19)
- The Little Mermaid (May 26)
- Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (June 2)
- Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (June 9)
- The Flash (June 16)
- Elemental (June 16)
- Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)
- Insidious: The Red Door (July 7)
- Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14)
- Oppenheimer (July 21)
- Barbie (July 21)
- Haunted Mansion (July 28)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (August 4)
- Meg 2: The Trench (August 4)
- Gran Turismo (August 11)
- Blue Beetle (August 18)
- The Equalizer 3 (September 1)
PRIZE FOR FIRST PLACE
In addition to bragging rights, whoever comes in 1st Place at the 2022 Summer Movie Wager will receive a ScreenAge Wasteland t-shirt off of our RedBubble page. (Note: Shipping is limited to North America only, sorry!)
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WAGER
As for submissions, you can choose to either leave a Disqus comment on this post, or email email@example.com. Be aware, however, that people might copy your comment, so we encourage email. Also, your entry will be recorded immediately. If you edit a Disqus comment later, the changes likely won’t count, so choose wisely.
Entries are due at the end of Sunday, April 30, 2023. A post will be released the following morning with everyone’s participating wager. The winner will be announced shortly after the end of Labor Day Weekend.
Choose wisely and good luck!