UPDATE May 7, 2019: Only two days left to submit your wager. Please note that Artemis Fowl and The New Mutants have been delayed. If you had included them in your wager you have been contacted to put in a replacement. Also, 1st prize has been changed.
The rules are simple, the competition is fierce, and the wagers are lighthearted. Besides, who wants to spend the summer outdoors in the sun when you could be sitting in an air-conditioned theater watching some of the latest blockbusters?
Choose whatever 10 theatrical films you think will be most profitable domestically with #1 being most successful and #10 being least. You are NOT guessing the worldwide box office total.
*We opted-out of international gross because of the alternate release schedules. We apologize for any annoyance, but the window of time wouldn’t work.
You can choose any of the select films that release in the United States from Friday, May 3 until Monday, September 2 (i.e. the first weekend in May through Labor Day weekend).
*Please note that a movie may still be profitable after September 2, but that’s the cutoff — that extra cash won’t count.
**That’s right, Avengers: Endgame is not eligible. It was inevitable.**
In addition to your Top 10, we ask that you choose 3 “Furiosas”— 3 films that you think MIGHT make the Top 10, but you aren’t willing to put on your list.
We’re taking the point system wholesale from Time Travel Reviews (…if it ain’t broke):
- Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
- 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
- 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
- 5 points if it was two spots away
- 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
- 1 point for each dark horse pick that makes it into the Top 10
The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick. That is, if you get number ten right, you don’t get 13+3, you only get 13.
JUST SOME OF THE ELIGIBLE MOVIES
- Pokemon Detective Pikachu (May 10)
- The Hustle (May 10)
- John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (May 17)
- Aladdin (May 24)
- Ad Astra (May 24)
- Brightburn (May 24)
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (May 31)
- Rocketman (May 31)
- Dark Phoenix (June 7)
- The Secret Life of Pets 2 (June 7)
- Men in Black: International (June 14)
- Shaft (June 14)
- Toy Story 4 (June 21)
- Child’s Play (June 21)
- Annabelle Comes Home (June 28)
- Yesterday (June 28)
- 47 Meters Down: Uncaged (June 28)
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2)
- Stuber (July 2)
- The Lion King (July 19)
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26)
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold (July 31)
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (August 2)
- The Angry Birds Movie 2 (August 16)
- Angel Has Fallen (August 23)
PRIZES FOR TOP 3 WINNERS
In addition to bragging rights, the top 3 winners of the Summer Movie Wager will receive:
- 1st Place gets a ScreenAge Wasteland t-shirt and a movie-themed Pop! Funko
- 2nd & 3rd Place get ScreenAge Wasteland coffee mugs
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WAGER
As for submissions, you can choose to either leave a Disqus comment on this post, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be aware, however, that people might copy your comment, so we encourage email. Also, your entry will be recorded immediately. If you edit a Disqus comment later, the changes likely won’t count, so choose wisely.
Entries are due the end of Thursday, May 9, 2019. This post will be updated the following morning with everyone’s participating entry. The winner will be announced shortly after the end of Labor Day Weekend.
Choose wisely and good luck!