There’s a lot of breaking news in Hollywood happening every minute. In the age of the blockbuster, it’s easy for some smaller movie and television news to slip through the crack. Last Week in Hollywood is our weekly series highlighting all the interesting news from the last week that we thought didn’t warrant its own post, but was still worth mentioning. It’s less personal opinions and more a hearty roundup of what you might have missed.
Juno Temple Joins Venom 3
Juno Temple (Ted Lasso) is set to co-star in Sony and Marvel‘s Venom 3. Tom Hardy is set to return as the titular character with the franchise’s longtime writer Kelly Marcel taking over the directing reins from Andy Serkis. Marcel also wrote the screenplay from a story she and Hardy devised. Plot details remain unknown at this time. Who Temple will be playing is also being kept under wraps. | Source: Deadline
Scott Pilgrim Movie Cast Returning for Animated Series
Netflix has unveiled the voice cast for its upcoming Scott Pilgrim anime series and – SURPRISE! – it’s everyone who was part of Edgar Wright’s 2010 live-action adaptation. Michael Cera will return to voice the titular character, who is a member of a garage band who falls for a gal named Ramona but must first defeat her seven previous lovers. Mary Elizabeth Winstead will reprise the role of Ramona.
Other actors from the movie who will be lending their voice for the Netflix series are Satya Bhabha as Matthew Patel, Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells, Chris Evans as Lucas Lee, Anna Kendrick as Stacey Pilgrim, Brie Larson as Envy Adams, Alison Pill as Kim Pine, Aubrey Plaza as Julie Powers, Brandon Routh as Todd Ingram, Jason Schwartzman as Gideon Graves, Johnny Simmons as Young Neil, Mark Webber as Stephen Still, Mae Whitman as Roxie, and Ellen Wong as Knives Chau. | Source: Deadline
Angelina Jolie & Halle Berry to Star in Maude v Maude
Angelina Jolie and Halle Berry are attached to star in Maude v Maude, an upcoming global action thriller described as “Bond vs. Bourne.” Warner Bros. acquired the project after a multi-studio bidding war. Maude v Maude will mark the first time Jolie and Berry have worked together on a film.
Roseanne Liang will direct from Scott Mosier’s script. Berry and Jolie will produce along with Berry’s producing partner Holly Jeter via their banner HalleHolly, along with Jeff Kirschenbaum and Joe Roth who will produce through RK Films. Mosier and Liang will executive produce. | Source: Deadline
Clint Eastwood Finds His Cast for Next Movie
Clint Eastwood has assembled the cast for his next film. Nicholas Hoult, Toni Collette, and Zoey Deutch will star in Juror #2 for Warner Bros. Eastwood will direct from a script penned by Jonathan Abrams.
Juror #2 follows “family man Justin Kemp who, while serving as a juror in a high-profile murder trial, finds himself struggling with a serious moral dilemma … one he could use to sway the jury verdict and potentially convict — or free — the wrong killer.” | Source: Deadline
James McAvoy Will Speak No Evil
James McAvoy and Blumhouse (Split, Glass) are reteaming for a remake of Danish thriller, Speak No Evil. James Watkins (The Woman in Black) will direct from his own script. Universal has set a theatrical release of August 9, 2024.
In the original 2022 movie, “a Danish family visits a Dutch family they met on a holiday. What was supposed to be an idyllic weekend slowly starts unraveling as the Danes try to stay polite in the face of unpleasantness.” | Source: Deadline
Ana De Armas Leads Cast of Origin of Species
Ron Howard has lined up a killer cast for his upcoming survival thriller Origin of Species. Ana De Armas (No Time To Die), Jude Law (Sherlock Holmes), and Daniel Brühl (Captain America: Civil War) are all attached to star with Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider) in talks to join.
Based on two different accounts of the same true story, the film is described as “a darkly comic tale of murder and survival, set around a group of eclectic characters who abandon civilization for the Galapagos. They are all searching for the answer to that ever-pressing question that plagues us all: what is the meaning of life.” Production is expected to commence in Australia in Q4 2023. The script was written by Noah Pink (Tetris). | Source: Deadline
More Casting to Know
- Austin Butler will star in City on Fire, an adaptation of Don Winslow’s novel from Sony 3000 Pictures. Butler will also produce, alongside David Heyman and Shane Salerno. (Deadline)
- 20th Century Studios has acquired Naughty from Siena East (Clone High). Amber Midthunder (Prey) will star in the project, which is described as a holiday action rom-com. East will pen the script. (Deadline)
- Sosie Bacon and Lesley Manville have joined the virus thriller Cold Storage, which is now filming in Italy and Morocco. (Deadline)
- David Tennant and Lars Mikkelsen have joined Ahsoka as droid Huyang and Admiral Thrawn, respectively. (Star Wars Celebration 2023)
- Michelle Dockery has joined the cast of Here. (Deadline)
- Eric Dane, Paola Núnez, Vanessa Hudgens, and Alexander Ludwig have joined Bad Boys 4, with the latter three reprising their roles from the third film. (Deadline)
- Glen Powell is in talks to co-star opposite Daisy Edgar-Jones in Twisters. (Deadline)
- Dakota Fanning will lead the supernatural thriller The Watchers, which will mark the feature debut of writer-director Ishana Night Shyamalan. (Deadline)
- Monica Barbaro and Elle Fanning will join Timothée Chalamet in the Bob Dylan biopic A Complete Unknown. Production will begin this summer in New York. (The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline)
- Matt Damon, Jon Stewart, Emily Blunt, Maya Rudolph, Sam Rockwell, Sebastian Maniscalco, Christopher Meloni, Richard Jenkins, Awkwafina, and Vince Vaughn have been added to the voice cast of John Krasinski‘s original family comedy/drama IF. (CinemaCon 2023)
- Willem Dafoe has joined the cast of Beetlejuice 2, which is now in production. (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Rob Delaney has closed a deal to return as X-Force member Peter in Marvel Studios’ Deadpool 3. (Deadline)
- Connie Nielsen has closed her deal to return for Gladiator 2, while Stranger Things‘ Joseph Quinn is in negotiations to play Emperor Caracalla. (Deadline)
- Rihanna will voice Smurfette in the upcoming The Smurfs Movie. She will also produce the movie and provide original songs. (CinemaCon 2023)
- Johnny Depp has set a buzzy first round of cast for Modi, his first directorial effort in 25 years. The biopic of Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani will be led by Riccardo Scamarcio, Pierre Niney, and Al Pacino. Filming is due to get underway in Budapest this fall. (Deadline)
- Paramount Animation has announced the voice cast for its upcoming movie Transformers One. Chris Hemsworth will voice Optimus Prime, Brian Tyree Henry is Megatron, Scarlett Johansson is Elita, Keegan-Michael Key will voice Bumblebee, Jon Hamm is Sentinel Prime, and Laurence Fishburne is Alpha Trion. (The Hollywood Reporter).
- Addison Rae has joined the ensemble cast of Legendary‘s live-action hybrid, Animal Friends. (Deadline)
That’s it for the last few weeks. What projects mentioned are you interested in seeing once completed? Tell us in the comments!