Remember when Netflix and The Office (U.S.) creator Greg Daniels announced Space Force, based around the idea of a sixth military branch for United States government? Well, apparently that’s still happening and they’ve just locked down some more cast members.
Here’s a breakdown of the main cast so far and who they will be playing:
- Steve Carell as Mark R. Naird – A General tapped by the White House to lead a new branch of the Armed Forces with the goal of putting American “Boots on the Moon” by 2024.
- John Malkovich as Dr. Adrian Mallory – Head Science Advisor, brilliant, arrogant and hoping to prevent space from becoming the next great international battlefield.
- Ben Schwartz as F. Tony Scarapiducci – A self-centered media consultant whose Machiavellian goals only sometimes line up with those of Mark or Space Force.
- Diana Silvers as Erin Naird – Popular and an A-student in Washington DC, Mark’s daughter is an outcast in Wild Horse Colorado after transferring to a remote military base and turns to delinquency.
- Tawny Newsome as Angela Ali – Helicopter pilot, ambitious and competitive, with secret dreams that she keeps close to the vest.
- Jimmy O. Yang as Doctor Chan Kaifang – Doctor Mallory’s right hand man, Chan is a brilliant astrophysicist and rocket engineer who immigrated from China as a teenager and loves all things American, from fly fishing to the Baltimore Orioles.
- Alex Sparrow as Yuri ‘Bobby’ Telatovich – A charming observer from the Russian Government, Yuri is curious about many things in Mark’s life, like his daughter, or the tech specs of the Javelin missile.
Here’s how the series is being described as:
It’s obvious that Daniels, Carell, and Netflix are hoping to create the next The Office. The cast looks impressive, and I’m especially a fan of Ben Schwartz. I’m equally a fan of director Paul King who directed one of the best films in recent years, Paddington 2 (which should have won all the awards). I’m interested to see what he brings to the series, as Paddington‘s comedy doesn’t align with what I expect Space Force‘s comedy to be.
Space Force is ready for launch sometime in 2020 on Netflix.
What do you think of the cast so far? Do you think this could be The Office in Space Netflix is hoping it will be?